So one of my goals with my ROM this year is to lose 60 pounds – fair enough. But as my ROM coaches suggested to me, weight loss isn’t everything: What about stamina, stregnth, endurance? These are all important barometers of overall vitality.
Because I’ve historically been about as athletic as a brick, I wasn’t sure how to even go about some basic bench-marking. I eventually settled on these home-fitness tests:
- Step test to measure aerobic endurance
- Push ups to test upper body strength
- Sit ups to test abdominal or trunk strength
- Squats to measure lower body strength
How’d I do?
- In step-test I was the worst – 120 beats per minute in the minute after steppin’ up. Though Jasmin mentioned that perhaps I was stepping a bit too intensely; I should have gone for ‘steady’ rather than unevenly ‘rapid.’ (Poor)
- 21 push-ups ’till maxing out (‘Average’ for men)
- 31 sit-ups in a minute (Average)
- 41 squats ’till maxing out (‘Good’…I’ll take it!)
So now we have some other benchmarks to gauge my progess…we’ll see where I am in a month!